Wednesday 4 July 2012

How I dye my roots!

Lilac/Silver/blonde hair is a nightmare to keep looking good- the biggest problem? Roots. Although my hair is a medium/dark blonde naturally, it is still VERY obvious when my roots come through. I touch them up once a month. I haven't quite found a dye which doesn't leave my roots orange... until now.  I picked up Garnier Nutrisse Truly Blonde Pre-Lightener from a local shop, and it worked great!  I have used this product before on my already dyed hair, and it didn't work so well. But if you use it on 'Virgin Hair', it will lighten it perfectly! My roots were left a yellow colour after, so I then used Touch Of Silver Twice A Week Brightening Shampoo, and left that on for an hour, which toned the yellow out of it. Then I re-did the lilac on my hair after as usual.  Obviously the dyes I use on my hair, may not work as well for others, its just trial and error for what works for your hair and what doesn't. But I do recommend giving this product a go if your doing roots... not so much to strip colour out of your hair though!  





- My very attractive roots after a month. The yellow ginger colour on the outter bits are the dye I tried to use last time to lighten them... it didn't work so good.
















- The box dye!



- Colour chart on the side of the box!

















I left the dye on for the maximum time suggested: 45 mins. This lightened them as much as I needed to be able to tone the yellow out.


And this is the finished result! No awful roots showing anymore! Like I said I toned the roots after I had washed the dye off. Even though I re-applied my lilac colour, you can still see the massive difference in my roots from the first photo!












If you have any questions, leave a comment and I shall reply as soon as I can! :)




2 comments:

  1. Firstly, let me just say your hair is beautiful. I have had the same problem, after lightening my hair my roots are now a yellowy colour and my ends are a grey/lilac shade ( which is the colour I want) I use Loreal Silver shampoo usually (would this work the same way the 'touch of silver' did? As am scared to put more coulours ontop of my already crazy two tone roots but am more scared to leave the scary looking yellowish blonde roots showing. Please help! Much love !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) The touch of silver is an amazing product! and I highly recommend... But It mostly depends on how yellow your roots are. Touch Of Silver is cheap anyways, so Its no harm giving it a go! When I use touch of silver, I put it on dry hair instead of wet, for about an hour! If it doesn't tone out the yellow as much as you wanted, you're probably going to have to try a proper toner, such as La Riche Directions White Toner... which does work extremely well!! Hope this helped! xx

      Delete